Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day Without Gays? Sounds good to me!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it ironic to have a bunch of people call work and say, "Can't come in today--I'm gay," as if homosexuality is an illness like the flu or dysentery, contrary to the gay-rights camp's most common argument. (The second most common argument is, "You're wearing those shoes?!)

Wouldn't it be hilarious if a Day Without Gays occurred and nobody noticed? Such an event would cripple cities like San Francisco and Seattle--the entire coffee industry would have to shut down. However, I can't see gays being missed in a locale where people actually work for a living--that is, where the most common occupation isn't student, professor, poet, incense peddler, pet yoga instructor, or blogger.

Also I don't know about you, but nothing makes me want to marginalize a segment of society more than that group constantly demanding that I acknowledge how (the following two words should be read in a high-pitched lisp) super-special they are and I should fall at their immaculately-manicured, Prada-clad feet and thank them for gracing such a nasty and badly color-coordinated planet with their presence. These people don't want acceptance--they want accolades. Being okay with gays isn't enough anymore. Now you have to be enraptured.

This is not solely an anti-gay blog, but our society has become such that coverage of gay publicity stunts is becoming hard to avoid, in much the same way the number-one pin finds a bowling ball hard to avoid.

No comments: